Production Date: 9/16/15
‘The Great Australian Cheese’
Bega Processed Cheese is a great addition to any survival or preparedness food stores, with its long shelf life and great taste.
Ingredients: Cheddar Cheese (Pasteurized Milk, Salt, Culture, Enzyme), Water, Sodium Citrate, Butter (Cream), Salt, Sodium Phosphate, Citric Acid, Nisin (Preservative).
This cheese is manufactured at the Bega plant in Bega, Australia. The people at Bega Cheese, have been making cheese since 1899, and have found a way to put great tasting, real cheddar cheese in a can. This product has a natural cream color, medium cheddar flavor and pleasing texture. It s easy to cut, grate and slice and it s delicious. It's packaged in Australia for folks who don't have refrigeration, like many outdoorsmen, survivalists and campers. Shelf Life There is no Expiration Date written in stone, because the shelf life depends largely on the storage conditions (temperature, humidity, altitude, sunlight/shade, etc.). We do guarantee the shelf life for two years however, the actual shelf life of the cheese will ultimately be determined by the storage conditions (temperature being the main factor) and the seal on the can remaining intact and therefore protecting the cheese from the introduction of oxygen. After this, one can expect some nutritional value loss, although it will be edible, provide fat and calories in an emergency, and still be perfectly safe to eat if the can remains sealed. A quote from the National Cannery Association: "Canned food has a shelf life of at least two years from the date of processing. Canned food retains its safety and nutritional value well beyond two years, but it may have some variation in quality, such as a change of colour and texture. Canning is a high-heat process that renders the food commercially sterile. Food safety is not an issue in products kept on the shelf or in the pantry for long periods of time. In fact, canned food has an almost indefinite shelf life at moderate temperatures (75° F and below). Canned food as old as 100 years has been found in sunken ships and it is still microbiologically safe! We don't recommend keeping canned food for 100 years, but if the can is intact, not dented or bulging, it is edible."
Great for camping! Perfect for the boat or RV!
A must-have for any long term storage food plan or disaster preparedness kit
Powdered and freeze dried cheese products have been available for years, and they are actually not too bad for some applications. They make an excellent sauce, dip or spread, but there's just something not right about spreading cheese on your sandwich like it was peanut butter. For some things, there is no substitute for the real thing.
This is real cheese that can be grated like any other cheese. It melts, it can be sliced into thin slices for sandwiches, pizzas, lasagna or meat loaf, and it behaves just like any other deli-bought cheese it's great for grilled cheese sandwiches, fantastic omelets or just by the slice.
Bega Processed Cheese is packaged this way in Australia and in the Middle East for folks who don't have refrigeration, like many in the outback or in third world countries. The manufacturer is confident it will last "indefinitely". Since it's in a sterile environment, air can't circulate so germs can't get to it - there's no reason that it can't store indefinitely. Just keep it as cool as you can (protect from freezing). And once it's opened, it's best to refrigerate any leftovers, though it will most likely last a few more days in a zipper-locking baggie or tinfoil without refrigeration.
Servings Per Package: approx. 10
Serving Size: 20g
Average Quantity Per Serving Average Quantity Per 100g Engery 256kJ 1280kJ Protein 3.8g 19.0g Fat Total 4.8g 24.0g Saturated Fats 3.4g 17.0g
<1.0g 4.9g Sugars <0.1g <0.1g Sodium 294mg 1470mg Calcium 126mg 630mg
- Product Videos
Customer Reviews — 10item(s)
- We tried this cheese today with Cracker, Pretty tasty stuff. It is great for everyday and would be a special treat in an emergency situation. I bet it would be great as Mac n Cheese
- This is a great product!! It taste better then velveeta cheese>very low in salt not salty like velveeta.With that said going to buy 3 cases.
- Just got mine today... this is excellent cheese... it is a mild cheddar with a great flavor.... no funny side flavors.... and you don't have to refrigerate it... great for survivalists and campers...
Bega Processed Cheese
- Thanks for the order! Today 2 coworkers tried the cheese and we all loved it. We all decided it tastes like cheese whiz, there are no complaints from us. Plan on buying more; this is an awesome comfort food! It is excellent on crackers.<br>Obviously for the amount it seems kind of high priced but it will be on hand with my LTS foods and I am happy with the product
- This stuff is great. It is firm and not at all like cheese wiz. It tastes like a mild cheddar cheese. It melts well and keeps after it is open if you refrigerate it. Buy some you won\'t be sorry. Great for camping and just to have incase you run out of regular cheese.
Australian Bega Canned Cheese
- This cheese is great. My wife and I think it tastes very good. The price is right on this product and the folks at Camping Survival have been great to do business with. Order some for your family and stock up your pantry.
- Surprisingly good. You wouldnt believe its canned. I was shocked. Kinda like velveta.
Good but not earth shaking
- It\'s processed cheese in a can -if you start with that expectation and are prepared for something closer to Velveeta than cheddar I don\'t think you\'ll be disappointed. <br>The texture is of a medium firmness like velveeta or American cheese. The smell is a mild cheddary note. The taste is mildly cheesy with the slight after tang of a processed cheese. <br>I enjoyed it, but then again I like velveeta, cheese wiz, and cheese from a can. I only tried this product straight from the can on pretzel crisp crackers though i\'m sure it\'d be that much better in dishes and melted. I\'ll probably try some on a fried spam sandwich before too long. Or even with refried beans and tortillas.<br>While I\'ll be glad I had it and am about to order more I will most certainly miss my main/staple diet of nice aged cheddar.
- This is a great tasting cheese, wish I had gotten more when it was on sale.
- We took advantage of the Bega cheese deal and troed some in tuna melts the other night. Suffice to say this cheese will never reach its shelf life end. It was so good she\'ll be using it for not only storage,and camping. But everyday menus too!