There are many different types and manufacturers of "go bags", "bugout bags" and emergency kits. Some of them have inferior components or simply not as good as you would put together yourself. We have put together the following go bag kit from a list of our own personal kits here at CampingSurvival.com. The term go bag came from the idea that in an emergency such as an evacuation or home fire etc, you don't have the time to get your things together so you grab it and go.
This 26 Piece Go Bag contains:
- -Rothco Deluxe Waterproof Nylon Day Pack
- -6 MRE Samples
- -9 Emergency Drinking Water-Individual Packets
- -Survival kit in a can
- -Survival Blanket
- -Emergency Rain Poncho
- -G.I. Style Aluminum Canteen Cup
- -Hooah energy bar
- -AMK Adventure First Aid 0.5
- -Hand Powered Shake Flashligh
- -Rothco Deluxe Chow Set
This is a good start to a basic emergency preparedness kit. Click here for a good hurricane preparedness and supplies list / Go Bag from the NHC, National Hurricane Center.
It is generally said that it takes emergency services three days (72 hours) to set up relief services. This is why these go bag kits are often referred to as 72 hour kits. You should be able to take care of yourself and your family for a minimum of 72 hours in any kind of man-made or natural disaster. Don't just provide for the basics though. You will also want what we call comfort items in your go bags. It may be as simple as your favorite candy bar or book. For the kids, make sure they have coloring/reading materials as well as toys to keep them busy and help relieve your stress.
Here are some other items that we like to have in our emergency kits.
- 3 Underwear
- 3 Pairs of sox
- 1 Pants
- 2 long sleeve shirts
- 2 T-Shirts
- 1 Pair shoes
- 1 Notebook, pen, pencils
- 1 Set, 10 quarters, 10 $1.00 bills or more if you can
- 1 Pet care products
Following are some other items you can add to your go bag kit to improve upon it. Keep in mind that these kits are not meant to be put away and forgotten about. Preparedness should be a way of life. Don't rely on others or the government to take care of your family during a disaster. Get the kids involved and go through your kits at least twice a year. You'll find that you may want to add and remove various items.
- -More MRE's MRE, Meals Ready to Eat. Case of 12 new from Sopakco.
- -Radio Coleman Outrider Solar Crank Radio. Or a good small radio Dynamo Solar Crank Radio.
- Water purifier Katadyn Exstream Water Purifier Bottle.
- A good multitool The NEW Leatherman WAVE .
- Escape mask Emergency Escape Gas Mask.
- Pocket can opener G.I. CAN OPENER, P38.
- Depending on your situation you may need to create warmth and will need a fire. Remember the "Rule of Three's". You can live three minutes without air, three hours without shelter in a bad environment, three days without water and three weeks without food. In a survival situation this is a good guide to think about. You might want a few lighters, but here is another good way to start fire (especially if the place you're in or the transporation will not allow lighters). Magnesium fire starter (learn how to use it first) Aviation Survival Fire Starter and some tinder Wetfire Tinder. All-Weather Fire Starting Tinder.
- Camp stove Camp Stove. Coghlan's Folding Portable.
- Sewing kit Coghlan's Sewing Kit.
- Bug repellant Tick guard, bug spray etc.
- Sun screen Sunscreens, lotions, etc.
- Hand warmers Hand, body and foot warmers.
- Tube tentLightweight Emergency Tube Tent Shelter.
- Mess kit, basic 5-Piece Deluxe Mess Kit . or a higher quality kit Mess kit Stainless Mess Kit Nesters Cookset.
- Pocket saw pocket saw in a can. Survival Saw.
- Potassium pills Potassium Iodate Pill- KIO3 - Thyroid Blocker, Medical Corps. Nuclear Radiation Blocker.
- Whistle 'ACME' Nickel Plated Thunderer Whistle.
- Signal mirror Star Flash® Signal Mirror 2 x 3.
- Survival aid 5 in 1 Deluxe Survival Aid.
- Water tabs Military Water Purification Tabs. Chlor-Floc. Great to have for hurricane season.
- Duct tape Pocket Duct is duct tape -- unwound. 2" X 18" strip of industr.
Here is a good list from FEMA of items to include in your kids survival kit.
Kids Activity Survival Kit
You may have to leave your house during a disaster and may sleep somewhere else for a while. It’s smart to put together your own Kid’s Activity Survival Kit so you will have things to do and share with other kids. These can all be stored in a backpack or duffel bag. Just make sure you can carry it easily. Some suggested items for your Activity Survival Kit:
- A few of your favorite books
- Crayons, pencils or marking pens and plenty of paper
- Scissors and glue
- Two favorite toys such as a doll or action figure
- One or two board games long time to do!)
- Small people figures and play vehicles that you can use to play out what is happening during your disaster -- such as
- A deck of cards
- A puzzle (One with lots of pieces is good -- it takes a ambulance, fire truck, helicopter, dump truck, police car, small boats.
- Favorite stuffed animal or puppet
- Favorite blanket or pillow
- Pictures of the family and pet
- A "keep safe" box with a few treasures that make you feel special.
We have over 15,000 products for outdoors, camping, hunting, backpacking, survival and preparedness. If you purchase the above go bag kit part number "Gobag-1" and add any of the above items or any other items to put in this kit, you can get an addtional 3% discount off our already low prices. Just enter the word "kit" during the checkout process when asked for the Coupon or Promotional Code.
Customer Reviews — 3item(s)
- well 1 its kinda small for a survival kit but theres some good things about it 1 it has food 2 it has water
Hooah Bars, haha!
- I just found it funny that this kit includes "hooah bars", military performance bars. In the army, our "hooah bars" were nutrigrain bars, how\'s that for laughs, hahaha!
acai berry detox and colon cleanse reviews
- Now Great,concept desire mechanism pupil position special support deputy deputy persuade issue marry end birth limit involve everybody lord afford bottle deep husband much observe be annual capacity total during exercise result step investigation technique minister claim twice successful decade ear president suggestion technology creation seek to egg motor band create hope head unemployment soldier publication join hall choice away herself survey fresh an tall final round impression battle health look winner information encourage percent variation cut figure very liability loan their now herself prevent no their chairman under train share on