|The LuminAID solar light was designed to fulfill the basic need for light in post-natural disaster situations shortly after the January 2010 earthquake in Haiti. When thinking about what they could design to make a difference, we decided to focus on affordable, renewable light because it had the potential to greatly improve the comfort, safety, and survival of disaster victims.|
While on a school trip to Japan, they unexpectedly found themselves in the middle of the earthquake in March 2011. Having experienced first-hand how a disaster can negatively impact the lives of millions, they are motivated to make the LuminAID light a reality for those affected by disasters, crises, and conflict.
About the Founders: Anna Stork and Andrea Sreshta met while studying architecture and design in graduate school. They shared an interest in solar lighting technology and a common belief that design and design thinking can be used to solve problems at a global scale, including improving access to basic resources such as lighting and power.
The solar-inflatable technology developed by LuminAID Lab is patent pending both in the US and internationally through multiple filings that cover a broad range of applications and uses. The LuminAID light is our first application of this technology. The product packs flat and inflates to diffuse the light like a lantern and reduce the glare of the extra bright LEDs. For every 8 small conventional flashlights by volume, you can pack and ship approximately 50 LuminAID Lights.
- Push Button Switch with HIGH and LOW settings
- 8-10 Hours LED light on HIGH setting
- 14-16 Hours LED light on LOW setting
- Recharges in 6-7 hours of direct sunlight
- High-efficiency monocrystalline solar panel
- Lithium-Polymer Ion battery with hundreds of recharge cycles
- Dimensions: 8.25″ W x 12″ L (when not inflated) Waterproof up to 1 meter deep and can float (IPX-7)
- All components including battery are lead-free and RoHs compliant
- Weight: 3 ounces / 85 grams
- Storage and Battery Function: The LuminAID has a Lithium-Polymer Ion battery (similar to your cell phone) that was specifically chosen for its energy storage capacity and quality. The LuminAID can hold a full charge for over 4 months. Before storing for an extended period of time, it is best to make sure the battery is fully charged. We also recommend charging every 1-2 months to keep the battery at optimum condition.
SHIPPING TIMES: Most, but not all orders leave our warehouse within 3 business days, some orders may take longer. Allow time from the day we ship for FedEx, UPS or the USPS to deliver it to you from Upstate NY. Please call for rush orders before 2:00 Eastern time. That means that some items, to some locations could take two weeks or more. Remember, we're a 50 year old family run business, so feel free to call us for a rush. We can get most of our items out the same day and use next day air and get it to you tomorrow, but you need to call before 2:00 Eastern time.
To determine your shipping charge, simply add the items that you want to buy into your pack/shopping cart and click on the Secure Checkout button to go to the next screen and all you will need to enter is your zip code, hit the apply button and you will get your shipping charges before you have to enter any more information.
WE CAN NOT SHIP CASES OF CANNED FOOD OUTSIDE OF THE LOWER 48.
Prices subject to change without notice. We are not liable for any typographical errors or errors in pricing.
Click Here for Size Chart
Click Here for Women's Sizing Chart