With little more than a flint & steel kit and a copper drinking cup, Thomas J. Elpel and daughter Cassie trek five miles back into the Rocky Mountains for a few days of fishing, fun, and survival living. Among the spectacular lakes and mountain peaks, they demonstrate all of the skills require to meet their basic needs, including:
- Shelter: Rock and log shelter with a fire.
- Fire: Flint & Steel Kit + Making char cloth.
- Water: Drinking from mountain streams. Edible Plants: Wild onions and glacier lilies.
- Meat: Mountain Suckers-fishing by hand, snagging by hook, plus fishing laws.
- Cooking: Cooking fish on hot coals, plus steaming wild vegetables in a stone oven.
- Tools: Tin can knives, plus forging the nail knife and making a pine bark pot.