JOOS Orange gives you power anywhere without the compromises of other portable solar chargers. It’s tough: Super durable and waterproof, it reliably delivers power where and when you need it. The JOOS Orange works in real-world light conditions (low light, in the shade and even light rain) It works fast: Charges at least 3.5x faster than any other portable solar charger at the same price. The JOOS Orange is the best-performing solar charger under the sun.
What it charges
- Cell Phone
- Smart Phone
- Satellite Phone
- MP4 Player
- Digital Camera
- Video Camera
- GPS Unit
- Portable Game Device
- USB Radio
- DVD Player
- LED Light
- Night Vision Goggles
- Low Wattage Fan
- Low Wattage Heater
- Small Medical Refrigerator
- Water Purification System
Where it works
- Anywhere under the sun!
- On a Plane
- At the Airport
- Up a Mountain
- Sailing a Boat
- On the Beach
- Even in light rain!
- It’s tough: Super durable and waterproof, and reliably delivers power where and when you need it. The JOOS Orange works in real-world light conditions – overcast, in the shade, and even light rain.
How it works
Just put the JOOS Orange in the sun and you are ready to go – it’s really that easy! Your JOOS Orange has multi- positional legs that pull out from the back of the unit. Adjust the legs into a position that angles the solar cell to best face the sun. You can capture solar energy to charge your devices immediately, or store the energy in the on-board battery for later use. Because it captures power so efficiently, the JOOS Orange will charge your devices even if its internal battery is empty. You can also charge your JOOS Orange from your computer – or any USB power source.
Why it’s the best
- Highest efficiency commercially available, monocrystalline solar cell with silicon nitride, anti-reflective coating (125x125mm, 2.6W max)
- Solar cells connected in parallel – provides power when shaded.
- Replaceable lithium-ion polymer battery, 20Wh/5400mAh
- Charge Time: 12 hours Direct Sun/8 hours USB.
- Urethane encapsulation of solar cells for durability, long-life, high transmissivity (no yellowing), and waterproofing.
- 8 bit microprocessor (microchip) with proprietary algorithm to control MPPT, battery charge circuitry, LED’s and PV power/battery charge monitoring GUI.
- Battery charge and PV power indicator LED’s.
- Low light power circuitry.
- Dead battery circuitry.
- Urethane potted electronics for waterproofing.
- Proprietary connector in battery compartment for diagnostics.
- Molded Case
- Durable, polycarbonate injection-molded case.
- Metal heat sink.
- Security cable hole.
- Adjustable legs to optimize orientation to sun.
- Performance-enhancing heat reduction ventilation.
- Waterproof/submersible design – rated NEMA 6P.
- FCC A+B, CE, RoHS certified.
- Weighs 1.5lb.
- Compatible with optional reflectors to improve power production by up to 50%.
- Replaceable battery.
- Charges by USB from computer or other USB power source.
JOOS Orange captures up to 20 times more energy than other solar chargers. 1 hour in the direct sun = 2 hours 3G talk time. The large 5,400mAh replaceable battery pack holds enough energy to charge your smart phone several times, and can even charge an iPhone about two and a half times. Add the optional Power-Boost Reflector Kitand improve charge times up to 40%.
JOOS Orange is designed to charge all personal electronic devices (cell phones, smart phones, MP3 players, GPS devices, portable game devices, etc.) Its thin rectangular shape makes JOOS Orange easy to carry and store. Adjustable legs make pointing it towards the sun a breeze.And, if you don’t get outside much, the on-board battery can be charged from your computer or any USB power source. Most important, the JOOS Orange is rock-solid reliable. The internal battery pack will keep its charge for years. And the JOOS Orange keeps charging when submerged in water.
What’s in the box
- JOOS Orange (Version 2) portable solar charger
- Device charging cable (black)
- USB connector and charging cable (white)
- Device adapter tips: Micro USB, mini USB, standard female USB and connectors for LG, Samsung, iPhone/iPad
- User guide and warranty
One year Limited Warranty on electronics and battery.
- Power Source: Solar Voltaic Cell or a USB Connection
- Microprocessor Based: Yes
- Self Consumption No Photovoltaic Power: 100uW
- Self Consumption Photovoltaic Power On: 100mW
- Efficiency at Peak Input Power: 96%
- Low Light Circuit: Yes, from 0.002W to 0.23W a special circuit charges the battery
- Dead Battery Circuit: Yes
- External Connector: Female microUSB
- Maximum PV Open Circuit Voltage: 3V
- Maximum PV Operational Voltage: 3V
- Maximum Solar Cell Wattage: 18W
- Maximum Input Current: 6A
- Maximum PV Power Point Management: Yes
- Maximum Open Circuit Charging Voltage: 5V
- Maximum Charging Voltage: 5V, but more is possible by using a smart cable
- Maximum Output Current: 1.0A
- Battery Charging Voltage (Minimum to Maximum): 3.0V to 4.2V
- Battery Over Voltage Protection: Yes
- Battery Over Current Protection: Yes
- Battery Over Charge Protection: Yes
- Battery Over Discharge Protection: Yes
- Accepts charge from a USB Source: Yes
- Battery Charge Capacity and Photovoltaic Status: See LED table
- Battery Health: Yes, communicated to Web GUI and cell phone applets
- External Interface: Yes, management information is available via personal computer, using the Web GUI (GUI is available here) Also available in an iPhone/iPad applet
- Rated Power Peak Watts: 2.4 – 2.6W without reflectors, 4.0W to 5.2W with reflectors (depending on latitude)
- Type: Mono-crystalline with Silicon Nitride anti-reflective coating
- Maximum Current: 5.06A
- Maximum Power Voltage: 0.514V
- Maximum Short Circuit Current: 5.38A
- Maximum Open Circuit Voltage: 0.618V
- Type: Lithium-ion polymer technology
- Capacity: 20Wh – 5,400 mAh
- Nominal Voltage: 3.7V
- Cycle Durability: 1000 Cycles
- User Replaceable Battery: Yes
- Top Cover and Bottom Case: Polycarbonate material with legs for solar orientation
- PV Substrate: Steel heat-sink
- Security Hole: Yes, through the steel substrate
- Output Connector: Female microUSB
- Dimensions: 218mm x 146.5mm x 20mm; 8.58" x 5.77" x 0.79'
- Weight: Approximately 24 ounces
- Enclosure Rating: NEMA 6P (waterpoof), high transmissivity, automotive grade urethane used to encapsulate the solar cell. Electronics are potted with RTV Silicone.
- Optional Reflectors: Yes, adds more power depending on latitude
- Operating Temperature Minimum: -20°C (-4°F)
- Operating Temperature Maximum: 60°C (140°F)
- Storage Temperature Range: -25°C to 65°C (-13°F to 149°F)
- Humidity: 100%
- Safe to Ship/Use At Very High Altitudes: Yes