Sparkie Fire Starter, the newest fire starter from Ultimate Survival Technologies, features one-handed operation in a lightweight, compact design.
Built on the premise of the original BlastMatch, Sparkie can be operated with one hand and start your fire even in the most adverse weather conditions.
Weighing less than one ounce, Sparkie is approximately one-third the weight and less than half the volume of its big brother the BlastMatch. It features a reconfigured striker tab enclosure and spark bar. The compact body has a rubberized grip wrap giving you maximum control and comfort during use.
Sparkie is a one-handed emergency fire starter that generates intense, hot sparks with minimal effort. Sparkie is not affected by adverse weather and works even if it gets wet. Simply wipe off excess water and strike as normal. Sparkie weighs less than an ounce.
1. Place thumb on word "Push" and press down, releasing the spring-loaded spark bar.
2. Place flat end of Sparkie spark bar holder on a hard surface in cleared area at an 75 - 90 degree angle. (Force applied at the imporper angle may damage or break the bar holder.) Push down on thumb tab with constant medium pressure and plunge the body of Sparkie down the spring loaded spark bar. Initiate a few strikes to remove black oxide coating, exposing bare flint.
3. Place prepared tinder in cleared fire area. Use Sparkie to shower tinder with sparks to ignite fire. (We reccomend WetFire all-weather tinder cubes.) 4. If you do not have a hard surface, you can light Sparkie by holding it in your hand and using your index finger to plunge the spark bar back towards the Sparkie body while maintaining pressure on the thumb tab.
CAUTION! Sparkie generates intensely hot sparks. Keep away from anything you do not want to burn. Do not spark more than three consecutive times as hot sparks can gather and damage the bar holder. USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.
Length (Closed): 2.3"
Weight: 0.8 ounce
Click here for the Sparkie Fire Starter spec sheet.
A few months ago, we decided to hold a Scout Challenge through our Facebook page. We had asked for troops from all over the country to send us their information and tell us a little bit about their troop. We received an overwhelming response from troops wanting to participate! Ultimately, we ended up choosing 10 troops for the Scout Challenge. Each of these troops were sent different fire starting items, included the item listed here. The troops were asked to take photos of their use of the fire starting materials, as well has give brief reviews of each item and state which ones worked well together.
Interested in reading these great scout reviews? All you have to do is visit our blog My Dirt Time and look for the entries with the words "Scout Challenge" in the title. There you will find the scout reviews on this item, as well as other, plus a ton of other interesting information.
Customer Reviews — 2item(s)
Hard to open
- Concept is good though very hard to open with finger pressure. Once open it sparks quite nicely. Durabilty due opening ssue suggests a simpler design.
Sparkie fire starter
- excellent use it all the time