|This 19 fl. oz Stainless Steel small Kelly Kettle is great for individual use and suitable for all sorts of outdoor activities including Kayaking, Backpacking, Car Camping, Picnics, Scouts, Fishing, Wilderness Survival Kits and much more. Only weighs 1.7lbs.|
Never carry fuel again!
Stainless Steel Vs Aluminum
• Stainless Steel is slightly heavier than Aluminum however; it is stronger and more resilient to dents.
• The Aluminum kettle boils slightly faster than its steel twin as Aluminum conducts heat faster than steel.
• The Aluminum kettle is cheaper than its Stainless Steel twin.
• Stainless Steel kettles should be dried off and stored in a Dry location to prolong the life of the kettle. There is no need to dry off Aluminum kettles and they require very little care - aluminum kettles have been known to literally, last a lifetime.
• No difference in taste as far as we are aware.
• The steel kettle was developed after we saw significant demand from North American customers who did not want an Aluminum product.
That’s it really…..the choice is yours!
Can the Kettle be used without water in the chamber?
No - Never!
If you use your Kelly Kettle without water in the chamber you run the risk of overheating and melting the inner chimney wall.
Can 1 Kettle be used to boil water for a large group?
It is common practice here in Ireland for 1 Kettle to boil up enough water to provide up to a dozen people with hot tea / coffee at lunchtime.
Firstly, make sure you have enough fuel availabe to boil a couple of kettles and have your cold water nearby.
Boil the kettle as normal which should take approx 5 minutes. Once the kettle has boiled, hold the handle of the kettle at a 90 degree angle to the body of the kettle and lift straight up off the fire base. Do not lift the handle of the kettle directly above the chimney as this may result in a burn to your fingers. Once the kettle is clear of the fire base, the handle can be used directly over the chimney and the boiling water carried to your eagerly awaiting customers! Pour the boiling water into your cups/mugs (3 Pint Kettle approx. 7 mugs / 2.5 Pint Kettle approx 5 mugs / 1.75 Pint approx. 3.5 mugs / 1 Pint approx. 2 mugs).
Refill the kettle with cold water. If you are camped beside a lake or river, simply immerse the entire kettle into the water to fill the water chamber. Allow the kettle to drip dry for a brief moment and then, holding the handle at a 90 Degree angle to the body of the kettle, gently lower the kettle back onto the fire base where the fire should still be burning.
Refill the chimney with fuel and hey presto - boiling water again in a few minutes!
This process can be repeated until everyone has drunk their fill.
Can my Alcohol Burner be used with the Kelly Kettle?
Yes. Many Alcohol Burners etc. can be used with the Kettle kettle however you would need to check to ensure that your burner fits into the base of one of our kettles.
Internal Dimensions of Bases:
Fire base of our Small Kettle is c. 10.5 cm in Diameter with a working height of c. 10cm before the chimney of the kettle starts to narrow.
Fire base of Large or Medium Kettles is c. 13cm in Diameter and working height of c. 9cm before the chimney of the kettle starts to narrow.
TOP TIP - When using your alcohol/gel burner, partially cover the chimney top of your Kelly kettle with a flat stone to retain the heat, save fuel and speed up boiling time!
How is the kettle lifted on and off the fire base?
This is the correct way to lift the Kelly Kettle clear of the fire base and flames:
If more boiling water is needed, simply refill the kettle with cold water and gently place it back on the fire base - again using two hands as shown in the picture below. Refill the chimney with fuel and 'hey presto', your kettle will be boiled again in about 3-5 minutes.
- Hold the handle (with both hands) at an angle of 90 degrees to the body of the kettle.
- Lift the kettle straight up keeping the handle parallel to the ground. The weight of the kettle will ensure that the kettle remains upright and that no water will spill.
- Once the kettle is clear of the base & flames, you can hold the handle in one hand directly over the chimney of the kettle and easily carry the water to wherever it is needed.
- To pour the water, hold the handle in one hand and gently lift on the cork chain to pour.
Note: Never put your hands or lift the handle directly over the chimney of the kettle when the kettle is lit, as it can result in a burn.
What material are Kelly Kettles made from?
Historically, all Kelly Kettles have been made from Aluminum however, we now supply a high grade Stainless Steel. The Steel is more durable and rigid for customers that are more ruff with their gear.
We currently provide 3 sizes in Aluminum (Large 1.42 Ltrs / Medium 1 Ltr / Small 0.57 Ltr).
We also now provide a Stainless Steel kettle which holds 1.7 Ltrs (3 U.K. Pints)
What type of food can be cooked using the pot-support?
The pot-support is suitable for cooking quick meals (such as Noodles / Rice / Oatmeal / re-hydrated food / soup / toast if using smokefree fuel / etc.) and for re-heating pre cooked food, as you wait for your kettle to boil. It is not recommended that you try and cook the Sunday Roast over the kettle as you may end up boiling the kettle dry which would then cause the chimney to overheat and melt!
Remember, the Kelly Kettle is probably the fastest camping kettle in the world, so it should never be left unattended.
We recommend that the pot-support be used as follows:
Remember, practice makes perfect!
- Boil the kettle as normal and pour the boiling water over your food in the pot.
- Refill the kettle with water. Gently place the refilled kettle back on the fire base and refuel through the chimney as required to boil the kettle a second time (the additional water can be used for coffee, washing up, bathing etc).
- Assemble the pot-support (the 2 pieces slot together) and place it on the chimney. Place the pot on top of the pot-support. The contents of the pot will simmer & boil within a minute or so. Holding the pot steady with the gripper handle provided, stir the food to avoid burning it.
- Within 4-5 minutes the kettle should be boiled again and the pot/pan and pot-support will need to be removed before you life the kettle off the fire base. If the food needs to be cooked some more simply add fuel to the fire base, place the 2 no. Grill Pieces on the base (using the gripper handle if required) and place your pot on the grill, stirring contents as required.
*The Pot-support is only to be used when the kettle is full with water. Never use the pot-support if the kettle is empty.
*The pot-support is only suitable for cooking quick meals such as Noodles / Rice / Oatmeal / Re-hydrated food, etc.
Can I cook over the Kelly camp Kettle using the Pot-support if there is no water in the chamber?
There must always be water in chamber when using the kettle. If you boil the kettle without water in the chamber you could melt the chimney wall and the kettle will be destroyed.
The Kettle must always be filled with water before lighting the tinder etc.
Backpackers - how can you make your kit lighter?
One idea is to remove the fire base as the kettle operates perfectly without it. Simply place the kettle on a level non-combustible surface (large flat rock / sand / gravel etc.) and slightly raise the kettle using 3-4 small flat stones to allow for air intake. The kettle should work perfectly.
Remember that with a Kelly Kettle there is no need to carry fuel and the interior space of the kettle (the chimney) can be used to carry some of your basic survival gear items (plastic signal whistle, knives, waterproof matches etc.) once those items are sealed in a plastic bag to protect them from the thin layer of soot in the chimney.
A second option for making the kettle lighter is to replace the existing handle with wire. In this case, care would need to be exercised once the kettle boils and you want to lift the kettle off the fire base. Using both hands coming in from the side, take the wire as close as possible to the connection with the kettle (without touching the kettle as it will be extremely hot) and lift the kettle straight up and away from the flames setting it down on level ground. Once the kettle is clear of the fire, the kettle can be carried normally in one hand with the wire handle directly over the chimney of the kettle.
Note: Never lift your hands directly over the chimney of the kettle when the kettle is lit as it can result in a burn.
Can the Pot-Support be used on the Small (1 Pint) Kelly Kettle?
Yes. The Pot support fits all of our kettles. It also flat packs for easy carriage.
Ideally, it is more suited to the Medium & Large Camping kettles which have wider bases and are therefore that bit more steady. Nonetheless, if the operator is attentive and the kettle is placed on a good level surface, you can easily cook / reheat over the small (1 Pint) Kelly Kettle.
We recommend that the Pot-Support be used as follows:
1. Boil the kettle as normal and then pour the boiling water into your pot over the food.
2. Refill the kettle with water. Gently place it back on the fire base and refuel the chimney as required to boil the kettle a second time. (this additional water can be used for coffee, washing up, bathing etc.)
3. Assemble the pot support (the 2 pieces slot together) and place it on the chimney. Place the pot on top of the Pot-Support. The contents of your Pot will simmer & boil within a minute or so. Stir the food to avoid burning it (holding the Pot steady with the gripper handle provided)
4. Within 4-6 minutes your kettle should be boiled and you will need to remove the Pot/Pan and the Pot-Support before lifting the kettle off the fire base. If the food needs to be cooked some more, simply add fuel to the fire base, place the 2 no. grill pieces on the base (using the gripper handle if required) and place your Pot on the Grill, stirring contents as required.
Note: The pot-support is only suitable for quick meals such as Noodles / Rice / Oatmeal / re-hydrated food / freeze dried food etc.
How the Kelly Kettle® works
The Kelly Kettle® Volcano Kettle® will boil water in 3 to 5 minutes depending on the fuel you're using. Made from Aluminium or Stainless Steel, it is essentially a doublewalled chimney with the water contained in the chimney wall.
Once the campkettle is filled with water, simply start a very small fire in the base, set the kettle on the base and drop additional fuel (twigs, leaves, grass, paper, etc.) down the chimney.
The large internal surface area of the chimney heats the water very quickly. When the water boils, hold the Handle at an angle of 90° to the Kettle - then lift the Kettle clear of the base.
To pour, lift it by the handle and tilt it using the cork chain.
If additional water is required, simply refill the kettle with water and place it back on the base when the fire is still burning. Refill the chimney with fuel and you can look forward to a second kettle full of boiling water within a matter of minutes. Our kettles work in even the most extreme weather conditions - in fact, they work better in wind so there is no need to find shelter when brewwing up!
WARNING: Always remove the cork before lighting the kettle. The cork is only to be used for transporting cold water. The Water Spout should be free of ALL obstructions when the kettle is in use. Boiling the kettle with an obstruction in the water spout can result in a burn.
SHIPPING TIMES: Most, but not all orders leave our warehouse within 1-7 business days. Allow time from the day we ship for FedEx or the USPS to deliver it to you from Upstate NY. Please call for rush orders before 2:00 Eastern time. That means that some items, to some locations could take two weeks or more. Remember, we're a 50 year old family run business, so feel free to call us for a rush. We can get most of our items out the same day and use next day air and get it to you tomorrow, but you need to call before 2:00 Eastern time.
To determine your shipping charge, simply add the items that you want to buy into your pack/shopping cart and click on the Secure Checkout button to go to the next screen and all you will need to enter is your zip code, hit the apply button and you will get your shipping charges before you have to enter any more information.
WE CAN NOT SHIP CASES OF CANNED FOOD OUTSIDE OF THE LOWER 48.
Prices subject to change without notice. We are not liable for any typographical errors or errors in pricing.
Click Here for Size Chart
Click Here for Women's Sizing Chart