LifeStraw Family is a large volume water purifier providing up to 4750 gallons or 18000 liters of water, enough to supply a family of five with clean drinking water for up to three years. It's useful to have at home to purify contaminated tap water in the event of boil water advisories or emergency situations. In a worst-case scenario, you can rely on the LifeStraw Family to purify water from any freshwater source near your home.
Lightweight and portable, LifeStraw Family is perfect for point-of-use water filtration while travelling or camping in remote areas. It makes filtering water a breeze at base camps, while vehicle camping or camping with groups.
Features & Benefits:
- Filters up to 4,750 gallons or 18,000 liters of water to 0.02 microns (20 nm)
- Removes minimum 99.99% of viruses (>LOG 4 reduction)
- Removes minimum 99.9999% of bacteria (>LOG 6 reduction)
- Removes minimum 99.9% of protozoan cysts (>LOG 3 reduction)
- Requires no electrical power, batteries, or replacement parts
- Requires no running water or piped-in water supply
- Flow-rate of 9-12 liters (2.4-3.2 gallons) /hour of purifed water
- Weight: 0.53 kg/ 1.17 lbs
- Ultrafiltration hollow fiber membrane
- Has an easy-to-clean pre-filter and purification cartridge
- All raw materials are US FDA compliant or equivalent
- Internationally recognized & award-winning water filter
- Used worldwide in harsh conditions since 2005
How LifeStraw Family Works:
LifeStraw Family uses advanced hollow fiber technology. Water is forced through narrow fibers under high pressure. Clean water exits through tiny pores in the walls of the hollow fibers, but bacteria, viruses, protozoa and other contaminants are trapped inside the hollow fibers and are flushed out by backwashing. This is a highly efficient method of filtration.
- The feed water bucket (2 liter capacity) is filled with water.
- The 80-micron textile pre-filter (inside the feed water bucket) removes coarser particles and is easy to clean.
- Water passes through the meter-long blue PVC hose and gravity creates sufficient pressure on the membrane cartridge in order to reach a high flow rate.
- Ultra filtration takes place in the hollow fiber membrane cartridge - a pore size of 20 nanometers (0.02 microns) retains bacteria, viruses, parasites and fine dirt particles.
- The blue tap is turned to release purified water.
- Backwash the membrane by squeezing the red backwash bulb 3 times with both taps closed and then releasing the dirty water from the red tap. Water from the red tap should never be consumed.
How to Use:
Warning: Biological HazardDrinking untreated water may expose you to harmful microorganisms and increase you risk of gastrointestinal illness. Improper usage of LifeSTraw Family increase your risk of exposure to harmful microorganisms and increases your risk of gastrointestinal illness. Reduce your risk of becoming sick by following these safety instructions and by educating yourself on backcounrty water safety. Never use LifeStraw Family to purify seawater or chemically contaminated water, including water from mining tailing ponds or from near large agricultural operations. LifeStraw Family does not remove heavy metals, chemicals or radioactive materials, or particles smaller than 0.02 microns.The effectiveness of LifeStraw Family may be limited by environmental or hygienic conditions which may contribute to the recontamination of water after it has passed through LifeStraw Family's internal filter. Such conditions include but are not limited to:
- Use a rope to hang filter so red tap is several inches from ground.
- Gather water in a container.
- Pour water through pre-filter into dark blue bucket.
- Open red tap for 3 seconds to allow water to flush through filter, then close.
- Place clean drinking container under light blue silicon hose and open blue tap to collect filtered water.
- When finished filtering, close all taps. Squeeze red bulb until flat, 3 times, then open red tap and let remaining water drain from filter.
- Use of LifeStraw Family if your hands are dirty and bacteria-contaminated
- Use of LifeStraw Family in very contaminated water
- Failure to maintain a clean filter and membrane cartridge
- Consumption of water from LifeStraw Family's red exit tap
- Use of LifeStraw Family in, or exposure, to extreme heat or freezing temperatures.
The Science Behind LifeStraw:
Backed by serious research in our international labs and extensive testing in the field, LifeStraw and LifeStraw Family have been distributed to nearly every major international humanitarian disaster since 2005 and in broad public health campaigns in the millions.
The same high-tech design used in places like Haiti, Indonesia, South Africa, Kenya, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Pakistan and Bangladesh is now available in the USA and Canada.
LifeStraw is manufactured by Vestergaard Frandsen, a Swiss company specializing in disease control products for developing countries. Their core business model is centered around corporate social responsibility, and helping countries reach their United Nations’ Millenium Development Goals with products designed to prevent vector and water-borne diseases.
The award-winning Lifestraw water filter was orginally introducted in 2005 as an emergency response tool to purify water often contaminated following natural disasters. Today it is used in water filtration products globally. For every LifeStraw filter you purchase, a child in Africa will be provided with safe drinking water for an entire school year.
- Product Videos
Customer Reviews — 1item(s)
- I\'ve been looking for a long time for a filter like this and it lives up to my expectations. I\'ve used it already a couple of times camping and im thinking of buying another one for my bugout bag