***This box contains 30 packets which treats 8 gallons of water***
Last year during hurricane season both we and our supplier ran out of these. We're going to stock up on more this year, but please plan ahead as well. Clean water may be hard to come by. Please consider water purification ahead of time.
Currently used by the US Military ( National Stock Number NSN 6850-01-352-6129), 30 packets per box, eliminates Giardia, bacteria, viruses, removes sediment. Each 600 milligram packet provides 1.4% available chlorine, and enough flocculating agent for the clarification and disinfection of 1 L (1.10 qts)of water from polluted sources at temperatures of 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). At 41 degrees F (5 C) two 600 milligram packets will provide 2.8% available chlorine for the same purpose. Intended for the clarification and disinfection of polluted/suspended water, to make it bacteriologically safe for drinking. Recommended for use during US military exercises. Can also be used for the general public where municipally treated water is not available or where available water is suspected of being polluted. Chlor-Floc contains a combination of flocculation and coagulation agents which promote rapid formation of sediment in treated water (sediment is easily removed by straining the water through a cloth). After clarification of the water the chlorine released by the active ingredients is then free to kill giardia lamblia cysts, bacteria, viruses, and other harmful micro-organisms which are not removed with the sediment. 30 packets (treats 8 Gallons). Net Wt. 18 g. Shelf life- 4-5 years.
This is the same product used by the U.S. Dept. of Defense, the International Red Cross and OXFAM.
77F (25C) - Add 1 Packet - Wait 7 Minutes
58F (15C) - Add 1 Packet - Wait 15 Minutes
50F (10C) - Add 1 Packet - Wait 15 Minutes
41F (5C) - Add 2 Packets - Wait 15 Minutes
1) Add 1 or 2 Packets (600 mg /each) to 1 liter (1.1 quart) of water
2) Shake for 1 minute to make sure that the Packets dissolve completely
3) Wait for 7 to 10 minutes (or the necessary time) then strain through a piece of broadly woven cloth (t-shirt material, etc.) into clean container.
4) The clarified water is now ready for drinking.
5) If water is still murky add an additional one-half Packet and repeat steps 2 and 3.
NOTE: Store unused sealed Packets away from excessive heat or direct sunlight. Use opened Packets within 60 days.
IMPORTANT: Discard sediment between uses. Rinse cloth thoroughly with treated water before re-use. Always use same side of cloth for straining.
Sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione ... 2.5%
INERT INGREDIENTS ... 97.5%
(Provides 1.4% available chlorine)
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What makes WaterMakertm Chlor-Floc technology different?
A: WaterMakertm Chlor-Floc is the only water purification chemical in the world that is able to remove turbidity AND sanitize naturally polluted raw water in one step, without the need for any specialized equipment. Other systems typically involve the use of either sanitizers alone or require complicated equipment or treatment sequences that are not suitable for targeted users.
Q: Why is it so important to remove turbidity?
A: Turbidity provides a protective "screen" around pathogens, which makes sanitizers less effective. Removing this turbidity is therefore fundamental to rendering raw water completely safe for human consumption. To illustrate, it has only recently been "discovered" that one of the primary causes of the ongoing failure to eradicate outbreaks of cholera in the underdeveloped communities is the ability of this disease to lie dormant within zooplankton and then to replicate and spread rapidly once external condition are favorable. As a result of these finding, flocculation/filtration has finally been accepted a vital step in the fight against cholera.
Q: Are there any other benefits from flocculation?
A: Yes. Flocculation is critical to addressing the all-important issue of Adoption rate by users or user communities. By combing the processes of flocculation and chlorination, WaterMaker'stm unique dual action effectively boosts the sanitizer component, meaning that less chlorine is required to render the water safe. The result is treated water that is far superior in both taste and visual appearance to that delivered by other chemical methods.
Q: Has WaterMakertm Chlor-Floc been successfully applied in true field conditions?
A: Absolutely. After proving itself in the field during flood disasters in Africa, South America and Southeast Asia, as well as several refugee crises (such as during the 2nd Gulf War), WaterMakertm Chlor-Floc has become the preferred technology of international aid and donor agencies such as UNICEF, the ICRC, the IFRC, OXFAM and others. The product has also been adopted, in tablet form, by several military institutions worldwide - including the US Department of Defense.
Q: Is any special equipment necessary when using WaterMakertm Chlor-Floc?
A: None. All that is needed is a container (1-20 liters) and a stick for stirring when treating larger quantities of water (hand stirring is also effective).
Q: Is WaterMakertm Chlor-Floc easily and rapidly available?
A: Yes. Because WaterMakertm Chlor-Floc cargo is dense as well as non-hazardous, it can be air freighted in large quantities to any destination at very short notice. This characteristic has been very valuable in assisting flood victims that have been cut off from ground-based supply lines.
WaterMakertm Chlor-Floc - The #1 solution for emergency water purification when disaster strikes.
WaterMakertm Chlor-Floc removes sediment and disinfects any contaminated water within minutes, irrespective of pH, turbidity or level of contamination leaving it as clear and as clean as bottled water. WaterMakertm Chlor-Floc technology has been tested internationally at the highest level. This includes, amongst others, the United States Defense Force Laboratories at Natick, in Boston, the London School of Tropical Diseases, the South African Council for Scientific and Industrial Research and the Institute for Diseases in a Tropical Environment in Durban, South Africa. WaterMakertm Chlor-Floc Packets are registered with the United States Environmental Protection Agency and are currently the only water purification Packets which have fulfilled the requirements of the 1986 E.P.A. protocol on field-water purification.
Authoritative studies have shown that the taste and appearance of treated water is just as important as the efficacy of the purifying agent, for the simple reason that consumers hesitate to accept water which is not aesthetically pleasing. It is an accepted fact that iodine and chlorine Packet, flocculating agents and household bleach do not render all types of natural water totally safe or sufficiently potable to the user. Any realistic solution must produce water that is sufficiently potable as to ensure adoption by end users. In its most basic form, the use of WaterMakertm Chlor-Floc powder requires a container, a stick for stirring and a cloth through which to strain the treated water.
In 1989, after almost 10 years of the most stringent testing and thorough research, WaterMakertm tablets (known as Chlor Floc) were awarded a United States Defense Force contract. Besides it's unmatched efficacy, the clarity and palatability of treated water was considered to be significantly superior to any other products tested.
If you don't remove the dirt - you cannot remove the CHOLERA.
Recent research has revealed new strategies in the ongoing fight to eradicate cholera in underdeveloped communities. According to Dr. Rita Colwell, Director of the National Science Foundation in Washington, D.C., the resistance of cholera to traditional methods to prevent outbreaks results from the ability of the bacteria to hide within zooplankton and spread when conditions are favorable. However, the process of flocculation and filtration has now been identified as vital...WaterMakertm technology has been combating this very issue for over 10 years!
Chlor-Floc is a substance that makes muddy water clean and safe to drink. It can be bought from a chemist and is available as a powder or as tablets. Step 1: To use Chlor-Floc mix one teaspoon of powder with 20 litres of water and stir for a few minutes, or follow the instructions on the pack carefully. Step 2: The dirt will soon settle to the bottom of the container. The clean water should be filtered through a cloth. The dirt will be left on the cloth. Step 3: Be sure to keep the clean water covered. (Reference: Umgeni Water)
WARNING: Causes moderate eye irritation. Harmful if absorbed through the skin. Avoid breathing dust. Avoid contact with skin, eyes or clothing. Was thoroughly with soap and water after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before re-use. Prolonged or frequently repeated skin contact may cause allergic reactions in some individuals. If in eyes, flush eyes with plenty of water. Call physician if irritation persists. If on skin, wash with plenty of soap and water. Get medical attention.
- Product Videos
Customer Reviews — 2item(s)
Good product slow shipping
- This is a reorder for me really liked the product the first time.
Only issue was shipping this time around, it was very slow and seemed like my order got dropped through the cracks. Took 11 days!
- Below is the actual text from the Army Biomedical R&D Lab. The results speak for themselves.<br> Accession Number : ADA262226<br>Title : Evaluation of the Military Effectiveness of Chlor-Floc Water Purification Tablets for Treatment of Waterborne Micro-Organisms<br>Abstract : Tests were conducted to determine the efficacy of CHLOR-FLOC water purification tablets for treating microbiological contaminants in drinking water. The test waters represented various physical/chemical challenge conditions. Microbial challenges consisted of enteric bacteria Klebseilla terrigena enterovirus Echovirus 1, protozoan oocysts Cryptosporidium parvum , and cyst simulant latex beads. Studies used the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency\'s interim Guide Standard and Protocol for Testing Microbiological Water Purifiers for guidance. Results indicated that the CHLOR- FLOC system effectively reduced both bacterial and viral challenge components of the study to the required levels under all conditions, but failed to physically remove the oocysts and cyst simulant to the required levels under all conditions. Viability studies also indicated that the chemical disinfection component of the CHLOR-FLOC tablets had minimal capabilities to kill the encysted organisms over the 20-minute contact time. The overall study results revealed that the CHLOR-FLOC system was not adequate to physically remove, or to provide adequate chemical disinfection of, Cryptosporidium oocysts to the required level of 99.9 percent reduction. Water, Purification, CHLOR-FLOC tablets, Micro-organisms, Cryptosporidium, Klebseilla, Echovirus, Latex beads, Protozoan cysts, Bacteria, Disinfection, Coagulation.<br>Distribution Statement : APPROVED FOR PUBLIC RELEASE