With our Mountain House Mexican Style Rice & Chicken you can enjoy chicken and rice with a spicy combination of Mexican flavors. Each pouch makes approximately 3 1-cup servings (Dry Mix), 1-cup servings (Prepared). Mountain House® foods have excellent flavor, convenience, and storability. The Mountain House® name is your assurance of premium quality foods that may be stored for years. The exclusive Mountain House® freeze drying process locks in the natural flavors and colors of our premium-quality foods. Mountain House® freeze dried foods have the flavor appeal of freshly frozen foods, with added energy saving advantages so important every day, and especially during emergencies.
- Pouch, 5.40 oz
- 3 1-cup servings (Prepared), 1-Cup Servings (Dry Mix)
- 10 Year Shelf Life
- Easy to prepare-just add hot water
INGREDIENTS: Kidney Beans, Tomato Puree, Cooked Chicken, Instant Brown Rice, and contains 2% or Less of Black Olives, Green Peppers, Seasoning (spices, hydrolyzed soy protein & safflower oil, dextrose, onion powder, maltodextrin, beef fat flavor, nonfat dry milk, caramel color, spice extractive, turmeric extractive), Red Peppers, Modified Cornstarch, Dried Chicken Broth, Onions, Chicken Fat, Chili Powder (chili pepper, spices, garlic powder), Salt, Sugar, Jalapeno Pepper Powder, and Red Pepper Powder.
Allergen Information: Contains: Milk, Soy.
To prepare entire pouch:
- Open pouch at tear notch. Remove and discard oxygen absorber.
- Carefully add 2 cups(16 oz) Boiling water.
- Stir carefully and close zipper. Optional: After 4 minutes stir again.
- Let stand 8-9 minutes. Stir and enjoy right out of the pouch!
About Mountain House
During the Vietnam War, the Department of Defense put out a request for food that tasted better, lasted longer and weighed less than old K and C rations. Their parent company, Oregon Freeze Dry, responded to that request and won the contract. They immediately started making freeze dried food for the United States Special Forces. They have continued to make food for the United States Special Forces and other branches of the military ever since.
As the war began to wind down, Oregon Freeze Dry took the surplus rations to military surplus stores, where they rapidly sold out. It was then in 1968 they realized there was great consumer demand for freeze dried food and Mountain House was born.
Based on their ongoing sensory and nutrition testing of actual Mountain House products, in 2012 the shelf life was increased by an impressive 42%, from 7 years to 10 years! That’s right -- their shelf life is at least 10 years from the date of manufacture as long as the pouch is stored unopened in a cool area. After 10 years a change in flavor and appearance may be noticed. Mountain House Employees have personally tasted pouches that were 30 years old and they still taste great. For best results, avoid prolonged storage at temperatures above 75° F (24° C).
What foods are best for Survival Food storage?
To round out your survival food pantry, we recommend a wide variety of foods from canned foods to freeze dried and dehydrated foods packaged in sealed containers with oxygen absorbers. These storable long shelf life foods last for 25 years or more if stored well. Keep these foods out of temperature extremes and direct sunlight. A dry basement, the bottom of a closet, under a bed and so on are perfect places to store your survival food. Freeze dried foods keep their original size, whereas, dehydrated foods will shrink in size, but both are great for emergency food storage. Prepackaged items in #10 cans with an oxygen absorber last from 10 to 30 years. Freeze dried and dehydrated fruits and vegetables are great foods for your survival food pantry as well. They are delicious snacks right out of the cans or easily added to a variety of recipes calling for fruits and vegetables, which means they are easy to rotate through. Once they are opened, they are exposed to oxygen, so they’ll need to be used within about a year or so.
- Product Videos
- Shipping Restrictions
- This item can not be shipped to Mexico
Customer Reviews — 3item(s)
A TOP FIVE pick from MH
- One of my two favorites! Chicken and Rice is the other. I keep plenty of these in my well stocked BO Pantry and these two are the ones I actually eat on a regular basis...just because they are great!! Add a few sliced, pickled jalapenos...taste homemade!! I only purchase and stock Mountain House...the other FD foods taste oily and powdery.
I was expecting it to be ok but I was wrong. It's really good. Really tasty and I actually wanted more. Someone told me Mountain House is the best. Well I'm convinced.
- Boy is this ever good.
- As I continue my trek in tasting all of the freeze dried entrees from Mountain House, the Mexican style chicken & rice entree was up next.<br><br><br><br>All I can say is wow! If someone had made this for me and simply put it onto a plate, I would have never known it was a freeze dried entree. That is how good it is.<br><br><br><br>It has a slight bit of kick/spice to it, which is fine as I do not like food that is "overly" spicy. However, if you like food that is really spicy, then this is probably not for you.<br><br><br><br>Not only would I recommend this, but this particular entree is now permanently part of the food storage pantry. It will be heavily stocked in my household.