Ready to Eat Sandwiches were originally developed for the United States Military as combat rations for troops on-the-go. The Military required a sandwich with a three year shelf life, that tastes as great on day 1,095 as it does on day 1!
When originally tested by Natick (the division of the U.S. Army, responsible for researching and managing food, clothing, shelters, and support items for soldiers), the product received one of the highest acceptance scores of any new product introduction!
Our Ready to Eat Sandwiches were also tested with the United States Marines during an operation in Fallujah, and are currently incorporated into the US Military "First Strike Ration" MRE.
Bridgford Ready to Eat Sandwiches are produced in our Statesville production facility, under a grant of inspection with the USDA/FSIS. We are also inspected by the USDA/AMS, FDA, NCDA, VETCOM, Silliker and a handful of other agencies.
All of the meat and poultry that we use is purchased from USDA facilities and BSE tested to ensure the highest quality.
Storage of Ready to Eat Sandwiches
All Bridgford shelf stable sandwiches have a 3-year shelf-life if maintained at 80 degrees or less. Sandwiches can be stored at 100 degrees for six months.
Heating and Eating of Ready to Eat Sandwiches:
Sandwiches are designed to be eaten straight from pouch; however, they can also be heated via one of the following methods:
- AS IS: Tear open the pouch at tear notches. Remove Sandwich and eat.
- MRE/FLAMELESS HEATER: Place unopened pouch in MRE/Flameless Heater and follow the MRE/Flameless Heater heating instructions. Tear open the pouch at tear notches. Remove Sandwich and eat.
- BOILING WATER: Immerse unopened pouch in boiling water for 6 minutes.* Tear open the pouch at tear notches. Remove Sandwich and eat.
- MICROWAVE: Remove sandwich from pouch, wrap in a paper towel and microwave on high for 20 to 30 seconds.*
- TOASTER OVEN: Remove sandwich from pouch, place on a baking sheet, and place in an oven at 350Ã‚ÂºF for 8 to 10 minutes.*
*(recommended heating times.)
Serving Size 1 Sandwich(100g)
Servings Per Container 1
Calories from Fat 90
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Amount/Serving % Daily Value*
Total Fat 11g 16%
Saturated Fat 3g 14%
Trans Fat 2.5g
Cholesterol 0g 0%
Sodium 540mg 22%
Total Carbohydrate 41g 14%
Dietary Fiber 5g 19%
Vitamin A 8% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 8% Iron 8%
Ingredients: Enriched Bleached Flour (Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean and Cottonseed Oil, Glycerol, Yeast, Salt, Sucrose Ester, Dough Conditioners (Wheat Flour, Diacetyl Tartaric Acid Esters of Mono- and Diglycerides [DATEM], Soy Oil, L-Cysteine Hydrochloride, Enzyme, Ascorbic Acid, Azodicarbonamide [ADA]), Gum Arabic, Calcium Sulfate, Xanthan Gum, Sorbic Acid, Butter Flavor (Modified Food Starch, Maltodextrin, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Water, Soy Lecithin).
Frequently Asked Questions:
What is put in the sandwiches to make them stand up to shelf life?
It's a combination of packaging and processing. In terms of packaging no light breaches the tri-laminated foil pouch and no oxygen is contained with in the package and hence no bacteria formation. In terms of processing sodium is utilized in the preservation of the product however the product contains less than a can of soup.
Are there any made with gluten-free breads?
- Product Videos
Customer Reviews — 4item(s)
Good bread for go bags!
- Bridgford ready to eat flat bread is good. I tried it out with turkey and blue cheese dressing and enjoyed it. The texture and flavor reminds me of a soft biscuit. The single piece of bread can be carefully separated in half for a sandwich or just use it like a pizza crust with toppings or spread. You will want to have a drink to wash it down with as you would with a biscuit.
Shelf Stable Flat Bread
- Just tried it today and was pleasantly surprised. It tasted great. My children liked enough to ask for more. Great idea to have a food item like this flat bread that can last a very long time in storage.
It taste really good.
- You open the bag and it smells a bit like buttered popcorn. It taste great. With butter and ham, it taste better. I wish I can taste it with Bacon.
Ready to Eat Sandwiches
- Ok we tried the Italian Style Sandwich, the Flatbread, Bacon Cheddar and the Cinnamon Bun. While they don\'t look too far from the depictions here they were all quite similar in appearance and texture. As a long term item to have on hand that doesn\'t need to be heated to be eaten this could be a unique niche item to have in your car/boat/truck/work pack to chow down on and keep moving. Certainly what the military had in mind when they chose them. You won\'t think they came from the deli counter but not much sealed in mylar does but they fill you up. Take note if you have reactions to MSG or Lactose as some items list them on the contents. For everyday practicality over MRE\'s or Freeze Dried items they get a 5. Appearance/taste is a 4 - but don\'t worry because when you are starving no one is going to care!